In the range of small to large hotels, the guest room linen, guest bathroom linen, staff uniforms, all continue to accumulate in large amount. It is essential for the housekeeping staff to launder the linen and make it readily available at all times so that the staff can receive their well-laundered uniforms before work, and the guests are provided with good quality linen.
It is definitely required to purchase good quality linen; but the life, appearance, and the quality of linen largely depends upon the treatment it receives at the laundry by the laundry staff. Small hotels can contract with the commercial laundry services located outside the hotel. Large hotel establishments prefer to install their private on-premises laundry. Let us understand on-premises laundry operated by housekeeping −
Advantages of On-Premise Laundry
The following advantages are seen if housekeeping staff works at on-premise laundry −
- On-premise laundry provides more use in comparatively less investment.
- The time, energy, and effort to take the clothes outside at a commercial laundry service is eliminated hence the staff can work better.
- The housekeeping staff can easily access the On-premise laundry.
- Pilferage is reduced.
- The staff can have complete control over the wash cycles, and wear and tear of the linen. Thus, life of the fabric can be prolonged by using specific washing for the linen depending upon degree of their soiling.
On-Premise Laundry Equipment
On-premise laundry is the game of conservation of water and electricity and generation of high throughput. These equipment speed up the housekeeping work. The laundry equipment mainly include −
They are automatic machines which are used to wash the linen in large amount. They provide high laundry room productivity by using less water and electricity.
They dry the linen in less time than conventional drying methods. They deliver fast drying without consuming much electrical energy.
They save energy, cost, and efforts to press the large number of linen by delivering them ironed and pressed. They are easy and safe to operate.
Commercial Folders and Stackers
They are yet another automatic laundry devices that can deliver a perfectly folded and finished linen. They can also help to stack the folded linen neatly.
The housekeeping staff that handles laundry section is expected to know each device and its operation.
Working at On-Premises Hotel Laundry
The laundry consists of bath and bed linen, dining are linen, staff uniforms, cleaning cloths, curtains, drapes, blankets, and rugs. The guest laundry is handled by the most experienced staff. The staff in the laundry room is expected to be aware of the chemicals, detergents, dry cleaning agents, and the stages of laundry cycle.
No sooner than the soiled laundry arrives, the laundering work starts quickly. The reason behind it are −
- The soiled linen must be cleaned as early as possible.
- The stains may get permanent.
- The stains may get transferred to other linen.
- The soiled linen should not provide a breeding ground for bacteria.
- To avoid the chances of linen misplacing or loss.
The laundry goes through the following stages